Maine General Medical Center offers a breastfeeding support group once a week. The group is lead by a lactation consultant who is absolutely amazing. She is warm and kind, smart and supportive. Every mother should have access to a person like her and group like this. Last night at group we had a celebration for me and Abe and another mommy and her daughter who turns one today. I got an amaryllis and a really nice card from the lactation consultant. We had cake and a round of applause. It made marking the one year point so special, which it is!
The women in this group astonish me. The babies range from a week or two to three or four years old. At first I was really overwhelmed because there was so much going on and kids everywhere. These mothers know their stuff and they are beyond willing to provide support to new moms. Last night the moms of older babies were gabbing and taking up time but when it was time for a brand new mom to talk they all gathered around her, shut their mouths and let her talk. They offered her support, asked her questions and talked about what worked and didn't work in their situation. They make my heart feel full.
Abrahm is still a nursing champ! My plan is to follow his lead, he will let me know when he is done nursing. I still don't understand why people feel one year is the magic date that a baby should be weaned. I've been teasing Abe and telling him that on Friday at 10:11 will be the last time he can nurse because then he will be one (can you believe it??!). I feel so lucky and grateful that breastfeeding has been a breeze for us.

No comments:
Post a Comment