Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Breast Milk is Amazing Stuff

Did you know that breast milk hates cancer too?? Yesterday I was doing some reading about breastfeeding and I came across a conversation about a girl giving her expressed breast milk to her uncle who was battling cancer. I knew that breastfeeding a child decreased their risk of childhood cancer, and I knew that the longer a woman breastfeeds the lower her risk of breast and ovarian cancer...but I had never heard of another adult drinking it to fight cancer. So I researched some more. It turns out that there is a substance found in breast milk that can kill a cancer cell. This just amazes me.

This just adds to the long list of reasons that one should never ever throw away breast milk.

Last night I went to breastfeeding group and a new mother was struggling with her supply. Another mother, who is tandem nursing, offered to donate a chunk of her frozen stash. This made me feel all warm inside.

Breast milk truly is liquid gold. Mothers work so hard to produce and express their milk. It is hard work and every single ounce is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment