Abe is eating a lot of really great things. I remember when I was pregnant I figured out how old he would be when he would start eating solids, I was really excited that it would be during fresh fruit and veggie season. He and I head over to the farmer's markets every week. I usually go to two or three different ones to see what is offered.
We've had:
organic grassfed hamburg from South Gardiner
pickles from Morse's
native strawberries
new potatoes from Dig Deep Farm in Dresden
spinach from Emery Farm
zucchini from Emery Farm
fennel from the market in Brunswick
cottage cheese from Vermont
a little taste of chocolate brownie from a bakery in Brunswick
In this month's Food Network magazine Tyler Florence has a piece on making baby food. He suggested roasting bananas (in their skins) with blueberries until they burst and then pureeing that. Oh. Amazing. I spread it on some Borealis bread.
Abe also has discovered his love for Mumma's hummus. Seth and I can sit down and eat a whole bowl of it so I guess I will have to make bigger servings from now on.
The black raspberries are just ripening in the back yard. The blueberries are soon behind them. Then tomatoes (a bit of a flop this year) zucchini and cukes. I can't wait to share all of this with Abe.
I really want to give Abe eggs but some say not to. I think I will wait another month or so and then give him some farm fresh eggs. I'm also on the lookout for some Maine made pasta sauce. I can make my own but I refuse to in the middle of the summer.
I can't wait to roast pumpkins for him this fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment