Monday, July 25, 2011

More thoughts on baby food

I used to think about food a lot. Food like; fresh vegetable tian, mocha Swiss buttercream, glazed tofu with herbed couscous.

Now I think about baby food. And I think about it a lot.

I recently read on a mommy board that moms of babies the same age as Abe have been feeding their babies yogurt. I looked it up and it seems that because of the live cultures it is OK to give babes this dairy product before 12 months. I kept reading to see what kind they were giving, etc. I then went to the grocery store to look at the products. Um. The third ingredient was sugar! It might be organic cane sugar but it is still sugar!! I bought a big container of organic whole milk plain yogurt and plan to mix fresh fruit purees into it. Yummy.

I found this book last week and it has only made me think more and more about making baby food.


I took a half day on Friday to make and freeze tons of baby food.

This is roasted apples and plums with maple and spice:



I also made minty peas with green beans:


I made bananas with brown rice too. That one was very tasty.

Tonight I think I am going to make banana pineapple avocado pudding (not like pudding that you cook but just thick and luscious).

One of the tricks that the books talks about is roasting veggies to bring out a sweeter more developed flavor. Roasting is unbelievably easy.

OH! And in the last part of the book he gives recipes that mom and dad and baby can all eat. Like roasted turkey with veggies.

I kind of did the same thing with this veggie and gnocchi dish:


I made it for me and Seth and watched the amount of salt I added. Then I blended some up for Abe. He loved it!!

Here is my broccoli monster:

1 comment:

  1. Good job Momma! Don't forget, you can add veggies to the plain yogurt too. I do, although I don't think I'd eat it, why can't they? Figure it's another way to get them in her. Caroline will eat it plain, with fruit, with veggies, she just loves it!

    ReplyDelete